This intensive course combines wilderness medicine with urban medical care practices into a single month-long program that includes clinical rotations helping to provide care for real patients. After four weeks of classroom education, practical skills, scenarios and full-scale mock rescues, you will be ready to handle medical emergencies, in the wilderness or right in town.
The first three weeks of the experience is focused on EMT training, with an immersion into urban care. You will complete mandatory clinical time on an ambulance, emergency room setting, and/or long-term care facility, and be eligible for both the NC OEMS exam and the NREMT exam at course end. At the end of the EMT experience, a fourth week of the NOLS Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals enables you to receive your NOLS WEMT certification.
Landmark’s unique WEMT (EMT plus WUMP) experience allows students to have options:
- Current WFR students can attend just the EMT Intensive to upgrade to WEMT
- Medical practitioners can attend just the NOLS WUMP for continuing education needs
- Students can attend both courses to complete their NOLS WEMT.
Learning takes place both in the classroom and in outdoor settings regardless of weather conditions. Come prepared for wet, muddy, cold or hot environments.
238 hours / 28 days
Students seeking an EMT certification with a specialization in remote and wilderness medicine.
Minimum age 17 years on or before the last day of the EMT Intensive course.
- Proof of Age/Picture ID
- High school diploma or GED (college transcripts do not count)
- No felony convictions and no driving violations
- MedWest Clinical Orientation
- Background Check
- 10-Panel Drug Screen
- Childhood vaccination record, including Hep B
- TB test within 6 months of the course start date. If positive, a negative chest screen is also required.
- Flu vaccine for January and October courses.
- Certificate of Completion - EMT Intensive
- Eligibility for NREMT and NC certification exams - Exams will take place on your own time, after the course is complete.
- NC written exams are available through Castle Worldwide in most states. The NC written exam must be completed within 90 days of the last day of your EMT Intensive course.
- NREMT written exams are available in most major cities across the country, through PearsonVue.
- Exam details are available at your course, and post-course support is available for 1 year until you finish your testing.
- ASHI Basic Life Support
- NOLS WEMT
- NREMT, ASHI, and NOLS certifications are current for two years.
- NC certification is current for 4 years.
The WEMT is eligible for 3 credit hours through Western Carolina University. Check out the reciprocal agreement and process at WCU's Partnership page.
The NOLS Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician (EMT plus WUMP) is a 238 hours of contact time. It is a combination of the following two courses: EMT Intensive Schedule 2018 + WUMP Schedule December 2017
We will try to be outdoors as much as possible, regardless of the weather. Please dress appropriately for the weather, and to be comfortable both in and outdoors at any time during your course. NOLS Rescue Gear List and EMT Class Gear Lists
The NOLS Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician (EMT plus WUMP) is a combined course experience. The first 3 weeks of training is our NCOEMS EMT Intensive course, urban standards only - it is the eligibility training for state and national exam standards of EMT. The final 1 week is the NOLS Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals. Take your EMT training to the next level with this course addition to earn your NOLS WEMT. Roughly half of each class comes as current WFR students, taking the EMT Intensive to upgrade to WEMT. The other half of the students stay through the WUMP, eligible for the training because of the EMT course. Students who are current medical professionals (MDs, RNs, Paramedics, Physical Therapists, etc) attend the WUMP to compliment the student body and earn continuing education. The mixing of students and their various backgrounds creates a very rich experience for all attending.